Name: LaJuana Fuller
Title: Director, Women’s Imaging
Company: UPMC Magee-Women’s Hospital
Years in this Industry: 33
1. Why did you choose this profession? Healthcare and breast health, specifically screening for breast cancer places one in a vulnerable state. I consider it a privilege to serve in this capacity and to be able to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
2. What role has the support of other women played in your success? My success can be attributed to the prayers, the encouragement, the inspiration, the guidance, and the time that other women have graciously given me. I have taken that and with every opportunity give the same to other young women.
3. What does receiving this award mean to you?I am honored because this is a great acknowledgement for simply doing something that I am passionate about. To know that someone was compelled to see that I should be recognized is humbling.
4. What advice would you give to other women who want to go into your field? Be willing to be what others need you to be. The core of this work is about serving and meeting others where they are in order to make and leave a positive and lasting impact.
5. What would you tell other women about overcoming obstacles?Appreciate that failing forward is the path to success. It’s during challenges that growth and development occur. This is when you learn the best of who you truly are. There is something positive in all things; you choose your view.
6. What was the bravest thing that you have ever done that got you where you are today?Leaving the comfort zone of an organization where I had been employed for 26 years. There was a progression of growth throughout that time, but I had the desire to do more. I hadn’t considered that it would possibly mean in an entirely new environment and in a different state. The privilege to be part of something so significant has been realized since being in Pittsburgh.
7. How have you evolved over the years? I’ve learned to seek to see the best in all things, and to consider that any situation that I find myself in is either for me to be a blessing or to be blessed.